8 Simple Sustainability Practices For Your Daily Routine
Earth Day is celebrated each April to encourage environmental stewardship in ways that have a positive impact on our planet.
Taking a few easy steps toward greener habits can get you on the path to more sustainable living.
Gary Cocke, associate director of energy conservation and sustainability at UT Dallas, offers a few tips for incorporating sustainability practices into your everyday routine.
- Grow a small window plant that improves air quality. Try English ivy, spider plant or mother-in-law’s tongue.
- Buy bulk liquid laundry detergent instead of individually wrapped single-use pods.
- Walk or bike to work instead of driving.
- Use vinegar and soap instead of harsh chemical products to clean floors and countertops.
- Try Meatless Mondays when planning your meals.
- Don’t ask for straws at restaurants. Bring a reusable one if you prefer to use a straw.
- Reuse grocery bags. Most grocery stores will recycle excess bags.
- Ditch the plastic, and purchase a reusable water bottle to refill.
“It’s not hard to live a more sustainable lifestyle once you learn how to do it. It’s a matter of being mindful about the everyday things – how we clean our homes, tend our gardens, get to work, eat meals, use water and get rid of waste,” Cocke said.Tags: Sustainability